Saturday 23 August 2008

Mates 17 1/2" x 13" Oil WIP



So this is the second stage completed, which is basically to cover the canvas with thinned paint. I am still not concerned with the details, I just want to block in the local colours.

Colour theme is basic complimentaries, blue and orange and the composition is a triangle. You are always immediately drawn to human faces and flit between the two here, but the strong diagonal across the hands keeps your eyes moving around the painting.

You can see from the reference photo that I have moved the men closer together to make this a stronger compositional element. Having said somewhere that I don't have an analytical brain, I've just thought about this, because I needed to say something and, quel surprise, there is something there after all! I wasn't aware at the time, of consciously making that decision for that reason. Whether it makes sense is something else.

No comments: