Thursday 18 August 2016

Schoolmates

 Terry  11" x 14"  Charcoal
 Josie  11" x 14"  Charcoal
 Kay  11" x 14"   Charcoal
 Ellen  11" x 14"  Charcoal
 Ann  11" x 14"   Charcoal
 Jackie  11" x 14"  Charcoal
Soo  11" x 14"  Charcoal
 Annie  20" x 16"  Oil
Lizzie  16" x 20"  Oil
Meet my classmates in High School, County High School for Girls, Wellingborough, 1966 - 1971,  who I have not seen since I left, 45 years ago. Early in September we are all meeting for a catch-up, compare notes, and mainly chill. It's hard to believe that I met three of these girls, Annie, Lizzie and Josie, when I was 4 years old and starting infant school. Where have we all been?..........I can't wait to find out!
Oh, boy, so many memories bombarding me as I drew these girls, happy memories mostly, of a bygone age. Bike rides exploring everywhere, playing pirates or Romans at the Moat in Castle fields, and later, in school, always being told off and in detention because I was lazy and fond of backchat, for which I was eventually 'asked to leave'....well all right, expelled then! Envy of Judy Dawsons'  shoes, and of the freedom the other girls had to socialize. My dad was very strict and wouldn't let me out to join in. On the plus side, Art with Mr Sandham was A+, the best, the only lesson I enjoyed. 
Enough rambling.

3 comments:

Linda Roth said...

You had a good time doing these and It shows! Sweet faces all of them. Mand I do like the color portraits. Are you going to gift them at the reunion?

Pat said...

Amazing portraiture! They feel alive on the page. Bravo!

Gatepost productions said...

Lovely post which it looks like you enjoyed doing. Do give us an update after your reunion.